How To Get Your Motorcycle License In The United Kingdom

There are many things to think about when you decide you want to become a motorbike rider: you will evaluate which bike you want, which helmet is best suited to you and compare motorcycle insurance for the best deals. The first thing you will need to do before any of this is obtain your motorcycle license.

First you must successfully complete the Compulsory Basic Training (CBT). While you are learning you must have a L-plate. The L plate has certain restrictions such as the “no passenger rule” and no motorways use. While you are learning you will also be restricted to machines 125cc or smaller. This rule doesn’t always apply- if you are 21 or older you can practice on a larger displacement motorcycle if you are in radio contact with an instructor. After the CBT is completed, than you must take the “Motorcycle Theory Test”, this is a multiple choice exam.

You will need to take the Category A test for the Standard Motorcycle License. After you obtain this, you will be restricted to a 33bhp motorcycle. This means you will ride small displacement bikes for 2 years (125cc or similar). During the 2 year limit, you will be able to get rid of the L-plate, but still be restricted to 33bhp machines. After the 2 year limit is up, you are free to ride any motorcycle you want. After obtaining your standard motorcycle license you will have the right to carry a pillion passenger with you. Many people still have to stick with small displacement machines even after they gain freedoms due to the high insurance rates of larger motorbikes.

If you feel you dont need to have a Standard Motorcycle License, then you can opt-in for a Category A-1 (light motorcycle license). The A-1 will have more restrictions but not everyone needs a standard motorcycle license and all of its privileges. The A-1 still gives the rider the freedom of carrying a passenger and you also wont need a L-plate. It will have the following restrictions: 125cc engine with no more then 14.6 bhp. Most than likely, you will want the standard motorcycle license. Most people don’t want to be restricted to a 125cc bike forever; chances are that eventually you will get tired of such a small and powerless engine.

As you can see, the UK motorcycle licensing process is relatively complicated. It is much more complicated than the USA, but it is safer. Forcing riders to learn on lightweight and slower motorcycles is much safer, than giving a new inexperienced rider a racing machine. Remember to be safe and always wear a helmet.